Friday, April 6, 2012

"This week we arrive at the anniversary of the martyrdom of the mistress of the women of the world, Lady Fatima Al Zahra (as), accord- ing to the 75-day narration – i.e. that she left this world on the 13th of “Jamadi Al Oola”, 75 days after her father – the Messenger of Allah – did. It is an occasion highly regarded in many countries, as believers start a 10-day mourning period known as Al Fatimyya, or are just coming to the end of one period of mourning before starting another.
On this occasion, speakers read the “maqtal” – the martyrdom account – of Fatima Al Zahra (as) just as they do for Imam Hussain (as) on the 10th of Muharram. Indeed, Al Fatimiyya is the second Ashura, as expressed by the late Grand Ayatollah Mirza Jawad Tabrizi (q).
Some may say that the concept of holding Al Fatimiyya majalis – congregations – is new, un- like Ashura where majalis have been the norm for centuries. Is this not a “bid’a” – a new creation in religion?
The answer is no, and this was made apparent in our Mohsiniyya publication. Just as the Prophet (PBUH&HF) mourned Imam Hussain (as), he mourned Fatima Al Zahra (as) in that same gathering – so the starting history of mourning for the Holy Progeny is the same. What has been different is the circumstances enabling Shiites to hold majalis for the different occasions. However, when our honourable scholars saw doubts being cast from within our circle on the great tragedy of Al Zahra (as), they rose to affirm this truth. This revival was accompanied with many activities that will be maintained by Allah’s will, as long as principled jurists continue in this path.
May Allah bestow success on all those running Al Fatimiyya activities."

The murderer’s confession
In the last edition, Al Fatimiyya 1, we covered the first man’s confession of his aggression on the holy house as he lay on his deathbed along with the various Sunni sources in which this account was related. Al Majlisi, one of the greatest Shiite scholars, also relates that the second man sent a letter to Mu’awiyah, in which he tells of what they did to Al Zahra (as). In it, he confesses:
“I came to his home viciously to bring him out; I told the ser- vant Fidha: “Tell Ali to come out and pay allegiance to [the first man] as the Muslims have collectively chosen him”. She said: “The Prince of the Believ- ers (as) is busy.” I said to her: “Leave this [saying] and tell him to come out or we will come in and bring him out forcibly.”
Then Fatima came out [to us] and stood behind the door, saying: “O misguided liars, what do you say and what do you want?”
I said: “O Fatima!”, she said: “What do you want O [...]?” I said: “What is up with your cousin – he sent you to re- spond and remained behind the veil?”
She said: “Your tyranny – o wretched [man] – is what has brought me out and upheld the testament on you, and ev- ery other misguided deviant.” I said: “Leave the nonsense and the tales of women; tell Ali to come out.”
She said: “[You] are not wel- come [here]. Is it with the devil’s horde that you are threatening me, O [...]? Surely the devil’s horde is weak.”
So I said: “If he doesn’t come out, I will bring a mass of wood and set it on fire over the people of this house; I will burn whoever is in it unless Ali is led to pay allegiance.”
I [then] took Qonfodh’s whip and lashed, saying to Khalid bin Waleed: “You and the men collect wood quickly.”
I said: “I am setting it on fire.” She said: “O enemy of Allah and enemy of his Messenger
and enemy of the Prince of Believers...”
She then grabbed the door preventing me from open- ing it; I pushed but it became difficult so I lashed the whip at her hands, hurting her – I heard her sigh [from anguish] and cry. I almost gave in and left the door, but I soon re- membered [my] spite against Ali and his involvement in the blood of Arab heroes.
I kicked the door; she had stuck her abdomen to the door shielding it; I heard her cry a wail that I believed would bring down Medina’s skies. She said: “O father! O Mes- senger of Allah! This is what is done to your love and daugh- ter. O Fidha! Help me; by Al- lah, the [foetus] that I am preg- nant with has been killed.”
I heard her go into labour; as she was leaning on the wall, I pushed the door and entered. She met me with a face that encompassed my vision [due to its “noor” – holy light]. I slapped her face from outside her veil [with such force that] her earrings broke and dis- persed to the floor.
Then Ali appeared; when I felt his presence I rushed to the outside of the house and said to Khalid, Qonfodh, and whoever was with them: “I escaped a great matter”.
Bihar Al Anwar V30 P293/295; Al Hidaya Al Kobra P417."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. So sad.

Anonymous said...

Salam...just out of curiosity..do you think you would still have chosen Shia Islam if you had not married a shia muslim and thus been a little more guided into that particular sect. Im not saying you followed some guy's religion blindly not at all, but sometimes i reflect on all the different sects in islam and come to the conclusion that everyone thinks there's is "the one" ..or the "right way" how do we know what is the right way when there is so much passion and emotion behind certain sects and they honestly think there's is the more correct view...ie: sunnah/shia.
My question was coming from just reflecting on your situation which I'm pretty sure from memory..u were introduced to islam whilst meeting ure future husband and he is shia. So how do we know that this the right sect for us? Hope this is not taken the wrong way inshallah.
#morena

ellen557 said...

Anon2 wa alaykum salaam. I've written about this previously somewhere on the blog, you are welcome to take a look through the archives inshaAllah.

Anonymous said...

Thanks will do
#morena

A. Zahra said...

salaam alaikum,
fatemiyyeh really is a painful time. it brings out the ugliness of what happened after our beloved prophet left.
ya fatema!

Search This Blog